Garth Tapper was born in 1927; and studied at Elam School of Fine Arts from 1945 – 1951. In his last year at art school, he was invited by the Director of Elam (A J Fisher) to lecture in painting to fellow students. The same year he was awarded the Carnegie Scholarship by the Auckland Society of Arts, enabling him to continue his studies in Europe in 1952 and 1953. During this period he made contact with Augustus John and Vivian Pitchforth while studying at the Slade and Chelsea Schools of Art in London. A tour with A J Fisher through Belgium and Holland and further studies were undertaken in France, Spain and Italy. Tapper returned to New Zealand with his wife in 1953 to commence teaching at Auckland Secondary Schools until 1960. He then rejoined the staff of Elam School of Fine Arts, University of Auckland, and lectured in painting for 17 years – retiring from Elam as a Senior Lecturer in 1977. In 1957 Garth Tapper was represented in the New Zealand Travelling Exhibition to Russia and since 1963 has held 26 solo shows and participated in numerous group shows. He is represented in private collections as well as in the Auckland Art Gallery, The Bath House Rotorua, Waikato Museum of Art and History and the National Art Gallery of Te Papa Wellington.